Don your scuba gear and metal detector because it’s time to unlock the mysteries of Atlantis once and for all in Verne: The Shape of Fantasy, a pixel art adventure game coming to Steam in 2023. From publisher Assemble Entertainment and developer Gametopia, Verne: The Shape of Fantasy shakes up the puzzle platform genre with an adventure based on one of the most epic tales ever told.
Verne: The Shape of Fantasy Releasing in 2023
Verne: The Shape of Fantasy is a narrative-driven experience based on the real-life works by Jules Verne, the author most famous for novels like Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and Around the World in Eighty Days. Leveraging Verne’s one-of-a-kind storytelling and science fiction prowess, Verne: The Shape of Fantasy delivers a magical gameplay journey where players encounter many friends, villains, and deep-sea monsters of legend.
Set in an alternate 1888, the war against the dreadful “Nation” has reached its breaking point, devastating the land of Hemera, the fantastical world created inside the mind of Jules Verne. Aboard the mighty Nautilus, Jules Verne, Captain Nemo, and the courageous crew struggle to uncover the secrets of Atlantis, the fabled utopia that faced mass destruction from the very power source Verne and his crew aim to locate: the Flame of Hephaestus.
“Jules Verne’s fantastic novels and their impact have transcended decades, and we’re thrilled to honor these incredible tales by reimagining them as interactive experiences where players can decide what happens next,” said Diego Adrada, CEO and Lead Developer at Gametopia.
Key Features of Verne: The Shape of Fantasy:
- Tool Master: Discover and master the “IMAG,” an ancient Atlantean device allowing Verne to rewrite his story and change the fate of the adventure
- We’ve Got Company: Non-linear dialogues create a robust cast of characters in a thrilling story that reflects the human ability to imagine and tell larger-than-life stories
- Unlock Atlantis One Puzzle at a Time: Utilize side-scrolling gameplay, inspired by old-school adventure games where solving puzzles and exploring every inch of your surroundings is key to success
- No Ruin Left Unturned: Journey through a steampunk-esque world brought to life by detailed pixel art, told through a wide range of environments from the Nautilus’ dark corridors to ancient Atlantean ruins
- Historically Accurate: Enjoy an easy-to-follow narrative that leverages true-to-life information about Jules Verne’s life and world-famous works
Stay tuned to Last Word on Gaming for all the latest gaming news and reviews.